D-Day, Let’s Go!

July 3rd Airport Taoyuan

The 3rd of July it is. “THE”Day. As we booked an early flight in order to arrive on the first day as early as we could; we had to wake up accordingly.

We arrive at the Taoyuan Int’l Airport a bit before 7:00AM. We utilized the usual Van Service which was on time. The Airport personnel was aware of our arrival and waited to help use registering and weighting the luggages. I flew in the past with China Airlines; the “real Taiwan Airlines” and always have praised their services but this time was really Premium! I can not tell how much good care they took of me and my Daughter Mikalina who accompany me for this adventure. Wheelchair from the counter to the plane’s seat. Since we arrived first they had plenty of time to accommodate us with all we needed.

The flight was hyper-smooth. At this time of the day most voyagers continue their sleep during the 2:45 hours of the trip from Taiwan to Beijing and all is quiet and comfortable. Both of us were too excited to sleep tho and we watched a movie; listen to radio or read some e-book on our phone. The seats in the plane are a bit tight for me but for 3 hours it is not of major concern. The Economy Class of a 747-400 as they all are.

At arrival; the same care awaited us and we were taken from the airplane seat to the exit door by the airline/airport services where my own wheelchair waited, extracted from the cargo along with our luggages. The airport of Beijing is huge and between the terminal and the luggage kiosk there is a ~5 minutes ride in a transit system (on tyres by Siemens for the curious).

At Taoyuan departure as well as at Beijing Arrival; we were passed throughout the “Diplomatic Doors and Checking” so all those procedures were very fast and without any bump.

Temperature was of 28ºC in Beijing. No blue sky, a kind of ‘low ceiling’ but I can not determine if it was haze or pollution. The Coordinator of PuHua Hospital (Kathy) was waiting for us as promised. We got to the bus where I had some difficulties because I suppose the fact that I even cannot stand was forgotten and it has been necessary to haul me in the back seat. The driver was skillful but not particularly strong so it has been a bit hard. But well, small issue. Ride was less than an hour, we arrived about noon at Tiantan Road; PuHua Hospital. I was unloaded from the van by a much more trained man and we were directly lead to the room.

Kathy left us for an hour to rest and cool down; wash a bit and take refreshments. Around 3:00PM; we have been introduced to some personnel; nurses and care givers, some administrative talks and papers. After that; the Doctor saw me for a brief talk, just the premises and a general layout of what was gonna happen to me.

I have been seen by 3 neurologists, 2 chiropractors, 1 TCM Doctor and I got my first acupuncture treatment: needles in the arms, legs and belly.

It quickly arrived time to eat dinner and Kathy helped Mikalina (my Daughter) to find a very close food stand where she bought us each pork noodles and we feast on it. We could connect directly to the public wifi of the hospital but in PRC China all communications like Facebook; Google, Line are banned so we had to reset many communication channels before being able to connect. But I will try to make a separate post about connecting and computers.

Emptying luggages; re-insuring friends and family and we were ready for the start of the whole stuff: Day +1 – Next time…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *